This chole masala recipe is very dear to me, as it was the first dish my mother taught me to make before leaving for college. I remember being so overwhelmed with all the spices and keeping track of the various steps, but honestly, if I can do it, so can you. If you’re missing a simple and traditional home cooked meal, or just want something flavorful and packed with protein, I would definitely recommend trying this dish out! Please leave any questions or comments down below, and I’d be happy to respond to all of them! Hope you enjoy this recipe, and happy cooking!
Simple Chole Masala recipe for those that want a quick, tasty, and traditional meal. Prepare in under 30 minutes and still get all the flavor!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon (heapful) turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander-cumin (dhana jeeru) powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 medium roma tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 1/2 packet Parampara Chole Gravy Mix (optional)
- water, to taste
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- lemon juice, to taste
- Step 1 Put the pan on stove and set heat to medium-low.
- Step 2 Once heated for ~3 mins, add oil to coat bottom of pan. Add in onions, ginger, and garlic, and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Step 3 Add the salt, trmeric, coriander-cumin powder, chili powder, tomato, tomato paste, chole gravy mix and stir until well combined.
- Step 4 Add a bit of water so the mix doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Step 5 Cover pan with lid and let simmer for ~5 mins.
- Step 6 Uncover lid, add garbanzo beans, and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Step 7 Add water to your liking and cover pan with lid once again. Let simmer for 20-30 mins.
- Step 8 Top your completed chole masala with lemon juice to taste and enjoy!