This coconut shrimp curry recipe is one of my favorites to eat and with the flavor packed into this simple dish, it’s amazing how simple the prep and cooking actually are. If you do plan on making this, you’ll want to make sure the shrimp you buy from the supermarket are still uncooked to avoid a chewy texture. Please leave any comments or questions down below and I’d be happy to respond to all of them! Happy cooking, and hope you enjoy!
Coconut Shrimp Curry
Make a simple and flavorful coconut shrimp curry in under an hour! Great for entertaining guests or for when you want a bit of traditional comfort food.
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 20 shrimps, deveined
- 4-5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon (heapful) ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon (heapful) chopped garlic
- 1 medium roma tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon (heapful) turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander-cumin (dhana jeeru) powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Step 1 Place deveined shrimps in a bowl with the vinegar. Let it set for 5 mins and then wash out with cold water.
- Step 2 Put the pan on stove and set the heat to medium-low.
- Step 3 Once heated 2-3 mins add in the oil and the cumin seeds. Toss for about 1 min, or until the seeds turn a darker brown in color.
- Step 4 Add in the onion, ginger, and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Step 5 Add in ground tomato, tomato paste, coconut milk, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Step 6 Cover pot and let simmer on low heat for about a half an hour.
- Step 7 Add shrimp, cover pot, and let cook for another 10 mins.
- Step 8 Enjoy completed with coconut shrimp curry over rice or with indian rotis!