This onion rice recipe is one that I learned recently, and I can’t believe I’ve been missing out on such a simple and tasty recipe for so long! It’s another great one for finals or midterm week when you don’t have much time to cook, and is also great for that leftover rice you’ve been trying to use up. I love to eat this with some plain whole milk or greek yogurt and lemon or mango pickle. However, if you’re super short on time and don’t already have those ingredients in your kitchen, the rice will taste just as good without them! Please leave any questions or comments down below and I’d be happy to get back to all of them! Hope that this recipe finds you well, and happy cooking!
Sautéed Onion Rice
Simple sauteed onion rice recipe that you can make in under 30 minutes.
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon (heapful) turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and salted rice
- Lemon juice to taste
- Step 1 Heat pot or wok on stove at medium-low heat for around 2-3 mins.
- Step 2 Once pot is heated, add enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Step 3 Add in cumin seeds and sauté for about a minute, or until the seeds turn dark brown in color. (Make sure not to sauté for too long, as the cumin seeds will burn and make the rice bitter).
- Step 4 Add in sliced onion, turmeric, and red chili powder and sauté until onions become translucent.
- Step 5 Add in rice and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Step 6 Top with lemon juice to taste and mix well.
- Step 7 Enjoy your completed onion rice either on its own or with plain yogurt!